Vulcan's 109th Birthday Bash
Sunday, June 2, 2013 from 12 - 4 p.m.
$5 all ages 5 and up; FREE for children 4 and under and Vulcan Members
Admission includes entrance to Vulcan Center Museum, Observation Tower, and A Place of Our Own: The Fourth Avenue District, Civil Rights, and the Rise of Birmingham's Black Middle Class in Linn-Henley Gallery.
Make plans to attend the BIGGEST birthday bash in Birmingham! Vulcan may be the world's largest cast iron statue, but he still needs help blowing out his birthday candles! On Sunday, June 2, Vulcan Park and Museum will host a festive outdoor community celebration for Vulcan's 109th birthday. Enjoy an afternoon of fun festivities for the whole family at the biggest birthday bash of the year!
You can buy your tickets at the gate or skip the line and purchase them online!
For the Kids...
- Have your face painted or get balloon art created by the Magic Town Clowns
- Bounce on a birthday cake moonwalk
- Test your baseball skills with the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame
- Get your picture taken with "V"!
- Try fun science experiments with McWane Science Center
- Make cool crafts with Ruffner Mountain Nature Center
- Create artistic masterpieces with Young Rembrandts
- Meet the Birmingham Zoo's "Alabama Animals" from 1 - 3 p.m.
- Join a drum circle with Get Rhythm
- Take your picture with a real motorcycle from Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum
- Test your soccer skills with the Latin American Soccer League
- Learn about an important part of Vulcan's creation and make clay sculptures with Vulcan Park and Museum
- And many other fun activities provided by Heart of Dixie Railroad, Red Mountain Park and Birmingham Parent Magazine
For the "Big" Kids...
- Walk through Vulcan Center Museum and take a ride to the top of Vulcan's Observation Tower for a spectacular view of Birmingham.
- Take a look at our special exhibition A Place of Our Own: The Fourth Avenue District, Civil Rights, and the Rise of Birmingham's Black Middle Class in Linn-Henley Gallery.
Listen or dance to live music!
- Enjoy all of the fun activities with the kids!
Share Your History - Help us to preserve historic items and oral histories associated with Vulcan and the Birmingham region for future educational programs, exhibits and research. If you have historical items or stories concerning Vulcan and/or the Birmingham region, you can share these with Vulcan Park and Museum for us to consider for research and future exhibits. Items will be reviewed by the Director of Education and Museum Specialist for possible relevance to collection or possible loan for an upcoming exhibit. For every item accepted, there will be a completed Temporary Receipt Form to go with it until it is decided whether to accession the item or return it. If VPM decides to keep items for a loan, an Incoming Loan Form must be completed. If VPM wishes to accession any items, a Deed of Gift form will need to be completed.
Important Party Details...
- At 2 p.m., Mayor William Bell will join us as we sing "Happy Birthday" to Vulcan!
- At this time, FREE Blue Bell Ice Cream will be served (while supplies last).
- Additional food and refreshments from Tropical Adventure Shaved Ice and Coca-Cola will be available for purchase.
- Parking Limited! FREE shuttle provided. Additional parking available at the Jefferson County Board of Education (across Valley Avenue).
- No pets allowed during special events.